[blparent] (introducing guide dog to baby) it somces closer

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Mon Dec 14 21:00:50 UTC 2009

Hi.  I hope you don't have any trouble introducing your guide dog to the new
baby.  Michael and Eva have given you some good tips on how to get started.
Just know that the transition doesn't always go as smoothly as you might
hope.  It might be easier since you are the father and have a guide dog,
than it was for me as the mother.

My guide dog, a black Lab, is wonderful.  But she had gotten sort of used to
the fact that it was just the two of us.  Gerald moved into my condo in
December, and Sarah was born that next March.  Ballad made the adjustment to
having Gerald around well enough, but she got really jealous when the baby
was born.  First, her jealousy manifested itself in bouts of vomiting and
diarrhea.  This happened about every six weeks, and at first, we thought
Ballad must have been eating something she shouldn't have.  But we were very
careful about her food, and obsessive about leaving nothing around that she
could get into, and still the sick spells went on.  Eventually, Ballad
started having blood in her stools.  She was diagnosed with colitis.  She
may have been prone to colitis anyway, but my local vet and the doctors at
the guide dog school think the attacks were triggered by stress over the new
baby in the house.  We've had to put Ballad on a small daily dose of ptyalin
powder, plus a strict diet of specially formulated dog food that costs $87
for 25 pounds.

The next thing that happened was that Ballad started chewing the baby's
toys.  At first, I thought it was just nervous dog behavior, although Ballad
had never been a chewer.  But she's a smart dog, and the chewing has been
very systematic.  Wood blocks and a stuffed animal have been munched, but
what has gotten me is that Ballad has depopulated Noah's Ark, one animal at
a time.  Noah is left alone now with one turtle.  (I'm ordering some new
animals to keep the poor man company.)  All I can do is keep the toys picked
up as much as possible, but the thing is, Ballad has never tried to chew
anything else of mine or Gerald's even if it happens to be left out.  She's
never been much interested in chew toys of her own, either.  So I have to
chalk it up to ongoing jealousy.  I can only pay as much attention to Ballad
as possible and hope for the best, but it's been hard because as a baby,
Sarah needed a lot of my time.  Now as a toddler, she's interested in making
friends with Ballad.  The dog has never gotten aggressive at all, but she's
remained aloof.

As
I said, it might be easier with you as the father, but I've also found that
working a dog while trying to lug around a baby, a diaper bag, a car seat,
and who knows what else can be a real challenge.  Hopefully your situation
will go smoothly, but be ready to keep in touch with the school where you
got the dog in case problems crop up.  Good luck!

Jo Elizabeth

Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify
the hunters.--African Proverb