[blparent] Presentation opportunities

trising at sbcglobal.net trising at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 7 16:45:35 UTC 2009

Recently, I have had some opportunities to  teach some kids in elementary
grades a little about blindness.  In Texas last week, I talked to several
classes of first and second graders. I read them a book called Mandy Sue day
in Braille about a blind girl and her horse. I also showed my cane and
answered questions. I talked to about 12 fourth grade classes at another
school. I answered questions and  read a book called Mom Can't See Me from
the perspective of a nine year old with a blind mom. Here in Ann Arbor,
Center for Independent Living has been having me volunteer at work shops
that expose local fourth graders to different disabilities. I read a few
pages of a story in Braille, then help them make their initials on the
Perkins Brailler and again with candy dots. I think both myself and the kids
have enjoyed our time together.