[blparent] thanks for the advice

Pickrell, Rebecca M. (TASCSD) REBECCA.PICKRELL at ngc.com
Wed Jan 7 13:42:07 UTC 2009

Dena's post was a good one.
I do want to offer a different perspective though.
As I've mentioned before, we didn't find out I was pregnant until six
weeks before I had our daughter.
We looked into doulas, but found that they were very expensive. We also
found that we could not get one on such "short notice".
Finally, at the same time we learned I was pregnant, we discovered a
mold problem requiring that our bathroom (and it was our only bathroom)
needed to be gutted and put back together. This meant that I got to go
stay with the soon-to-be grandma for a week, and meant that there was a
very good chance I'd have had our daughter at a different hospital.
The bathroom renovation cost us $7k, 7 thousand dollars, in case that
isn't clear.
While all this was going on, husband and I were both working full-time,
and trying to get the house ready meaning that we went from nothing but
the desire to have a baby, to getting the things we needed in under six
weeks.
Finally, husband and I needed to find childcare, which isn't easy for an
infant.
What I'm getting at is that depending on circumstances, Dena's
suggestions are not feasible. Doulas are not covered by insurance, at
least not by the insurance we had.
Childbirth classes as someone suggested were not an option for us,
simply because they were not available (all the ones I found were
scheduled for *after* my delivery window), and with working, the
bathroom renovation, and needing to be at Grandma's, we simply couldn't
fit it in. I also needed to find appropriate care for my guide dog while
I was having the baby. I found two people, one in case I delivered at
the hospital near my house, and another friend who served as backup in
case I delivered at the hospital near my parents.
What I'm getting at is that if you have time, Dena's suggestions, as
well as the suggestion of childbirth classes are very good. We didn't.
Six weeks seems like a long time, though the pregnancy and childbirth
industry is operating under the assumption that you have nine or more
months to "get prepared". That isn't always the case.
Finally, hospitals tend to want patients not to question their rules and
policies. The hospital lactation consultants and I in the words of Cool
Hand Luke, had "A failure to communicate". I suspect this had to do more
with my background and approach to language, because she told me
flat-out "I've never worked with a technical person before"
I also questioned the 's insistence that I "watch the newborn channel"
being that the guidelines pediatricians follow say that screen-time is
not a good idea for children under 2. That question didn't go over well.

What I'm getting at Angelina is that childbirth is special as in an
individual/family, though for hospitals and midwives, it should be
routine. Any hospital should be willing and able to deal with you and
your baby on short notice.
 Oh, and while all this was going on, we were searching for a
pediatrician. This turned out to be the easiest part of the whole
process.