[blparent] Questions about purchasing baby items

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Wed Jan 14 14:47:10 UTC 2009

Hello Angelina,
I did use a theme for Austin's room.  I went with an ocean theme because
both his dad and I love the water and sea life.  This is completely a
personal coice!  We did take someone with us to the store to give her
opinion about if the stuff for the theme was cute and in nice colors.
I purchased a talking thermometer.  Other than Braille books, that is the
only specialized thing I purchased.  For measuring medicine, I have gotten
suringes, without needles, of course, from Austin's doctor or a pharmacist.
I ask what the correct dose is, then I have someone make a notch on the
plunger of the suringe at that dose.  That way I pull up the plunger until I
feel the notch and know I have the correct dose.  This works very well.
I used a Snugglee, which is similar to a sling, when Austin was small
enough.  I also however, use a stroller at times.  When Austin outgrew the
snugglee we purchased a backpack he can sit and ride in.  He's two, and I
still carry him this way at times, although he's walking more and more.
Some people use different kinds of slings or wraps so they can carry even
very large children without the need for a backpack.  You might want to look
into something like this so you'll only have to purchase 1 thing.  When I
use a stroller I pull it behind me so I can use my cane or guide dog in
front.  I would really recommend you actually look at strollers in a store.
Pull them, fold and unfold them, check them for features, ease of use,
weight, etc.  I love my stroller, which is a Graco Vieana, but this is an
extremely personal choice.  My stroller is actually a travel system which
came with an infant car seat that attached to the stroller for when the baby
is small.  I loved this, but some people do not.
When Austin got too big for this infant seat, we purchased the Sit 'N'
Stroll.  This is a car seat with wheels that pull out from the bottom, so it
becomes a stroller.  I love this product, but I wouldn't use it for any baby
who hasn't developed goot head control, and I also wouldn't use it as my
stroller all of the time.  It works best indoors, or for short walks; it's
not a stroller I'd want to take on longer walks especially on uneven ground.

These are just some thoughts.  Registering for gifts is great, especially
since you won't need a lot of these things right away.  Please feel free to
email me at melissa at riccobono.us if you have any questions or want more
details.
Good luck!
Melissa