[blparent] The toys out the window, a safety issue

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:24:12 UTC 2009

I agree with all of this, too.  We don't have an upstairs, but if we did I wouldn't have windows open with children unattended, unless there were some kind of safety locks on them.  Even now I keep the burglar locks on all of them so they're not open far enough for any child to get through.  A fall out of a window could easily kill a child, or at least injure them severely.
I can remember when I was a little girl, we were at my cousin's house, and they had pushed the screen out of the window and were throwing things out.  Everyone else went back downstairs and outside to play, and I was alone in the upstairs bedroom with the open window.  I was probably 4 or 5 years old at the time.  I climbed up onto the window sill and sat with my legs dangling out the window.  A neighbor noticed and told my aunt and my mom.  I had never seen my mom so scared when she came up the stairs to get me.  That shook me up a lot, when I realized how dangerous that was.  Children don't think logically about those things, so it's vital that we explain the danger to them.
Leanne