[blparent] [Bulk] Re: Blind Parents Meeting

kate02 at bellsouth.net kate02 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 3 13:45:50 UTC 2009

I have a suggestion.

When this woman threatens to call DCF on you write it down.  Write the date, the time if you can, what was said by her and you, and have it close at hand.  I don’t know for certain but this may be considered harassment.  I had an incident here that was similar and a friend had a situation that sound sort of the same.  I will state them so you can see what I am saying.

My situation.
I took my older daughter out back of our patio on a Friday night to help set up a moon garden.  A moon garden is a garden with plants that bloom at night so I was having her help me prep the soil and we made markers to identify the plants.  On the cards we had included what the plant was and some of the ways it could be used.  We have a woman above us who is extremely religious and has mental issues.  She called down from her patio how I was keeping my daughter up too late, it was nine, and that we were being loud.  First we were talking at a normal volume and the noise ordinance doesn’t kick in till ten.  I told her we would talk quieter and apologized if we disturbed her.  She mumbled something I couldn’t hear and went inside so I finished with my daughter and we picked up our things and went inside to go to bed.
The next morning I was contacted by a woman who handles disputes on the property.  She informed me that the woman upstairs complained that I had my child running by the lake all night and that I was using public property for religious purposes.  I informed the caller that first off I can use public property for religious purposes its protected under the first amendment, and that I wanted an example of what this woman felt made what I was doing a religious practice.  I also stated that we were inside at nine forty five, and the noise ordinance set by our county started at ten.  I then asked her if she would like to have a written copy of what happened because I wrote it down.  She said no and then stated that it must have been a misunderstanding.  We hung up and I added the call to my file just in case more came of it.  Nothing did and that woman hasn’t said a word to me since.

My friend’s situation.
A friend of mine got a guide dog and returned home to his condo that normally didn’t allow dogs.  One of the other tenants saw the dog and flipped out.  She had this tantrum about the dog being there and wouldn’t let him explain what the dog was for.  She called the condo board and he met with them and explained what the dog was and all was fine.  This woman was relentless, she would tell him every time she saw him that the dog shouldn’t be there and he wrote each event in a file.  One day he walked his dog and the dog wouldn’t stop picking his feet up.  So he felt around the grass and found tacks.  Now this woman would follow him and see where he took the dog to walk so he did the only thing he could.  He called the police and filed a report.  He had an officer come out and he showed him the file of what the woman said to him and told about her following him when he walked the dog and about the tacks.  The officer informed my friend that even though there was no proof about the tacks he could file a report do to harassment.  This report would place this person as suspect if any thing happened to his dog or him.  Two weeks later she was having a fit and when he opened his door to see what was going on she walked back in her unit slamming the door. He found out later from some one that she had received a letter from the board informing her that a report had been filed with the police for harassment and if her behavior continued she would be breaching guidelines for the complex and her unit could be seized.

So write down every thing even if it sounds like nothing.

Hope this helps.
Kate

From: "Pickrell, Rebecca M (IS)" <REBECCA.PICKRELL at ngc.com>