[blparent] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Blind Parents Meeting

Tammy, Paul and Colyn tcl189 at rogers.com
Fri Jun 5 02:53:15 UTC 2009

Hi,

along those lines, I was outside in front of my house with my son playing on
the grass and the mail came.  Well the postman came and handed my mail to my
four-year-old.  When I asked him what he was doing he said he was just
giving my son the mail since he'd be able to read it.  So I asked him if his
children could read at the age of four, and if he'd have handed any other
parent's mail to their child.  Then he actually said with a straight face,
but you have children so they can help you read things and cross streets, so
I just though I'd save you having to come down and get it out of the box!
It's really amazing what some people think of blind people especially blind
parents.  We actually talked for a few minutes after that while Colyn played
because after I told him that Colyhn was as much a help as any four year old
would be to any other parent, and that I have been crossing streets without
the help of my kids for more than half my life, he got interested and was
full of questions which I didn't mind answering since he really was nice and
genuinely appologetic for thinking that I wasn't capable of reading my mail.

Tammy