[blparent] A mix of both

Karla Hudson HudsonKC at msu.edu
Thu May 21 20:40:09 UTC 2009

Hi list,

Just wanted to chime in here regarding about staying home with your kids.  I
know this is mostly about working at home for an employer/business and
working out of the home for an employer.  However, I am a stay at home mom.
I feel lucky to have this opportunity as not everyone gets to have this
choice.

If you do get such a rewarding opportunity I say take it for several
reasons.  I lost my sister to cancer in 2002, two weeks after my daughter
was born.  I can tell you that my mom never thought she would lose her
daughter and she certainly doesn't regret having stayed home with us all.
The loss of my sister really put things in perspective for me.  I left a
great career to stay with her and I have never looked back.  I feel great
joy getting to walk her to school, attend school events and play with her on
the playground after school as well as have the energy for her assignments.

Both my kids have gone to preschool three days a week in the morning.  I
find this to be the time for running errands and doing my "mom" job.  This
has given my kids the opportunity to grow on their own but I still get lots
of mommy time with them.

I think remembering that their only "young once" is truly foundational.  I
try to capture so many of their life moments in my mind.  I know my husband,
who works 40 to 50 hours a week, notices the speed that their growing as he
is not involved as much as he would like given the demands of his job.  He
does feel blessed that they have their mom as their primary care giver.

So love them up and give them as much time as possible.  You never know what
tomorrow will bring.

Karla