[blparent] [Bulk] Items you couldn't live without

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Oct 13 14:38:10 UTC 2009

Hello Angela and list,
	I agree with most of what has all ready been said.  The only thing I
would add, that was an absolutely must have for me and the baby, is a really
comfortable rocking chair.  I actually bought a very nice wooden chair with
an audaman which also rocks for my feet.  The chair reclines also, and
actually still rocks when it is reclined, so I could lean back and close my
eyes and still rock Austin when he was fussy.  For me this was the best
place to nurse Austin at night, especially in the middle of the night, first
thing in the morning, and at naptime.  I also sat and rocked in the chair a
bit when I was pregnant.  They say that babies can feel this motion in the
womb and often respond even better to being rocked after they are born if
they are rocked inside.  So, once in a while I would sit and put my feet up,
rock and relax.  Sometimes I would even read to the baby, or my husband
would read to the baby while I rocked.  It was a great way for me to relax.
After Austin was born I used the chair everyday until he was about 2, and
even now he wants to be rocked occasionally.  So, the chair was definitely a
big purchase, but I have never regretted it.  Also, once I don't have any
babies to rock in the chair I will still be able to use it as a nice place
to sit, read, crochet, etc.  As with every big purchase, go to stores and
try out chairs to see which one is the most comfortable for you.  As soon as
I sat in mine I knew it was the right one.  The price tag was definitely
shocking, so I didn't purchase it right away, but I kept coming back to it
and finally just broke down and made the purchase.  The chairs often have
some cool features as well.  Mine has pockets on the sides which were great
for burp rags, pascifiers, and other small things in the beginning, and
books, small toys, etc. now.  The audaman also has a special stool which
pulls out from the bottom.  It's an additional place to put your feet for
different nursing positions as the baby gets bigger.  I definitely used
this, but it's probably not necessary.  It just depends on what you're
looking for.  If you all ready have a comfortable rocker, then you're ahead
of the game.  If you don't, it should be something you really consider
purchasing.
	One more thing I loved was my baby bathtub which had a mesh sling
Austin laid on when he was young.  This supported him and give me both hands
free for bathing him.  When he got older the bathtub had a seat with a ring
so Austin could sit with support and I could wash him.  Then we got a blow
up duck which actually quacked that he could be bathed in; he loved it.  I
know there are tons of bathtubs out there, and tons of ways to bath your
baby, but the mesh sling really worked well for us and I don't think anyone
else has mentioned it.
	Just one more thing...  Remember that your family and friends will
probably be as excited about your baby as you are.  This means baby showers,
baby gifts, and gift cards for you to spend for the baby.  We were very
lucky to receive our stroller, highchair, play gym, and swing and exersaucer
as shower gifts.  Even our rockingchair was partly purchased with a very
generous gift card from my coworkers.  So you may not need to purchase as
much in the beginning for the baby depending on those gifts.  I would
definitely register for things you want so people know what to buy.
	I hope some of this helps.
Melissa