[blparent] home schooling

Nikki Fugett-Dobens nfugett at cinci.rr.com
Thu Oct 15 22:55:44 UTC 2009

Hi everyone.
I had a question.  I'm not sure if this topic has ever been discussed.  If it has, I'm sorry.
My husband and I have been discussing options for school for our daughter.  Of course, it's a long way off, but you know how fast time flies.
I feel like sometimes the world is a scary place.  I worry about her going out, even to public school.  I've thought about private school, Christian school, or monosory school, etc.  We've also thought about home schooling her, but we're not sure how hard this would be both being visually impaired teaching a sighted child to write and read print.
It wouldn't be hard to teach her other skills.  We've both went to college, but we're just not sure about reading and writing, and maybe identifying colors, or other skills a sighted child learns.  We thought about bringing in a tudor, but I was wondering if any of you have home schooled your children, thought about it, or knew anyone who was visually impaired who did.  Thanks for any advice you can give me.  I'm glad we have a while to make this decision, because it's much more compicated than I imagined.  Take care.
    Nikki