[blparent] home schooling

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:46:19 UTC 2009

Hi Nikki,
The world is a scarry place, and I contemplated home schooling for my kids
as well.  However, our Christian school uses the public school buses and
they pick our kids up right at the corner of our street, so it has all
worked out very conveniently for us.  I wouldn't send them to public school,
so if that didn't work I would probably home school.
My reservations about home schooling were due to the fact that my kids don't
have access to other sighted people very often at home.  We don't have
family that live nearby, so they see people at church once a week (or twice
for some programs), and sometimes friends come to visit or we go there, but
they don't really have regular interaction with sighted people.  My children
are all sighted, and I feel they need to relate to sighted people.  I can
teach my kids most of what they need to know, but I imagine there are tricks
to sight reading and maybe some other things such as eye contact that I
would know nothing about.  Maybe they would pick it up on their own, or
figure it out from the interactions they do have at times, but I just felt
like this was a more beneficial way of doing that.  Our Christian school has
been wonderful about accomidating us with email and actually they are going
to mostly electronic communication to save money so it's been great for us.
I hope that helps.  Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right
decision for your daughter.
Leanne