[blparent] Re-Introducing Myself

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Oct 27 19:38:45 UTC 2009

Hello Colleen,
Glad you're back on the list.  My name is Melissa, and my husband and I have
an almost three year old named Austin.
	There are tons of ways to teach shapes, numbers, letters, colors,
and animals.  You can get many different toys with letters, shapes, and
numbers that announce the name of the letter, shape, or number when it is
pressed.  A lot of these have different game modes where your child can
practice letter, shape, and number identification.  Some also have a color
mode where you can press one of the buttons and hear what color it is.  I
know Leap Frog, Fisher Price, and other brands have toys like this.  You can
also get magnetic letters to put on the refridgerator, letter, letter,
number, and shape puzzles, or just talk a lot about the shape and color of
different everyday objects.  There are also many animal puzzles, or you can
get animal puppets or even use stuffed animals.  The book Brown Bear Brown
Bear What Do You See? Is great because it tells the animal and the color of
the animal is being seen.  The only thing to remember about that book is
that the brown bear is on the first page, and the animal he sees is on the
hope that makes sense--it might not if you're not familiar with the book.
It was one of Austin's favorites, and you can get it all ready in Braille
from Seedlings Braille Books in a board book.  I was most worried about
Austin learning colors, but it just seemed like one day he knew them
correctly...  And I didn't do anything with him beyond the things I'm
describing to you.  So, I hope this is your experience as well.  (I'm also
blind as a result of LCA by the way.)
	I hope some of this helps.
Melissa