[blparent] trimming babies' nails

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Sat Sep 26 23:36:15 UTC 2009

I use a buffing sponge. It looks like a foam brick (about 2 inches by 1
inch), and costs about $2 at places like Walgreens or Walmart. You can also
get them anywhere they sell manicure stuff. I like the sponge for several
reasons:
- It is soft enough that if I miss and rub it against the skin of her
fingers or toes, it doesn't hurt.
- It's large enough to give me some extra surface area, which is important
when you are trying to deal with a screaming and/or wiggling baby.
- Its grain is not so rough that it will tear a baby's delicate nails.

All I do is buff the tips of her finger nails every few days (her nails grow
so fast that they would be claws if I didn't do it that often). Her toes
only get done about every 2 weeks.

I personally didn't feel comfortable using a clipper. I was terrified that I
would cut her. Not even my husband likes to use one, and he is sighted.

HTH:

Dena