[blparent] have a question

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Sat Apr 3 04:49:49 UTC 2010

Vanessa, have you had any classes at the hospital where you are going to
deliver?  Have you had prenatal care with your doctor?  When is your baby
due?

I went into labor about midnight on a Friday night.  I'd had contractions
before, on and off, but they usually stopped when I would take a glass of
water and lie down.  That night, they didn't stop.  They just went on,
gradually getting stronger and closer together, till we decided to go to the
hospital about nine o'clock on Saturday morning.

A contraction, as best as I can describe it, feels like a tightening in the
muscles of your back and belly.  Later on, as labor progresses, they're
pretty painful, but in the beginning, they're just uncomfortable.

As for the water breaking, mine didn't happen till the nurses at the
hospital ruptured the membranes to speed the labor along.  (That didn't hurt
at all.)  If your water breaks, believe me, you'll know it.  You'll feel a
great big gush that seems like it won't ever stop, although it probably
isn't as much fluid as it feels like.

I would recommend that you get into a birthing class as soon as you can.
Knowing what to expect will make the experience of delivering your baby much
less frightening and more empowering when you go through it.

Good luck,