[blparent] Learning about the signs that your baby is coming

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Sat Apr 3 20:24:11 UTC 2010

I agree that having a birth plan written in advance is a good idea because
it makes you think about what your ideal scenario will be, and lets your
care providers know what's important to you.  But I do have to stress
flexibility, which others have mentioned.

I WENT Into the hospital at nine o'clock on a Saturday morning, hoping for a
birth close to the one Dena described.  I labored all day Saturday, and I
didn't really find the pain too bad.  I wouldn't call it fun, but I'd been
through much worse with migraines and some procedures on my eyes, and Gerald
and I worked well together with relaxation and breathing techniques.  After
my membranes were ruptured, the contractions were stronger than before, but
I could still walk around the labor deck, which the nurses said didn't
usually happen when a woman was seven or eight centimeters dialated.  For
me, walking around or sitting in a chair and rocking back and forth with the
contractions worked well--much better than lying on the bed.  At about seven
in the evening, I received Fentinol in my IV to take the edge off the pain,
mostly because I was tired enough that I knew I wouldn't have the energy for
pushing if I didn't get a bit of a break first, having at that point been up
since Friday morning.  It wasn't long after that when I started pushing.

And then things stopped going according to plan.  I pushed and pushed and
pushed, for over two hours, and the baby wasn't moving at all.  Not even a
little.  When the monitor started showing stress in her heartbeat, the
doctor called for a C-section.  I was given an injection to stop the
contractions.  Let me tell you, once there was no longer a purpose behind
those contractions, a reason to be having them, the pain hit me like an atom
bomb.  Plus, the medication to stop the contractions had me shaking
violently.  I was scared and disappointed.

The C-section turned out to be okay.  I had an epidural, so I didn't feel
anything at all, but I was awake, and Gerald was with me.  It turned out
that Sarah had her head cocked sideways in the birth canal, as if she'd been
looking backwards to where she'd come from.  The doctor said I could have
pushed till the end of time and she never would have made it out.  He said
that people complain about modern medical interventions and how they get
overused, but at one time in human history, one in three women died during
childbirth.  He said a hundred years ago, Gerald would probably have been
asked to choose which one he wanted saved, me or Sarah, because there would
have been no way for both of us to make it.

I got to have Sarah on my chest for a few wonderful moments after she was
delivered, but then she was whisked away, and I was sewn up.  I had to stay
in the recovery room for a little over an hour, till the terrible nausea
from the anesthetic passed and I could wiggle my toes.  That was one of the
longest hours of my life.  I kept trying and trying to wiggle my toes, which
I couldn't even feel, and I wanted to sob and scream because I wasn't with
my baby on account of my stupid toes, which I couldn't have cared less
about.  Gerald had to keep going back and forth from me to the baby, since
the staff wouldn't let her in the recovery room with me having so much
nausea.  I was lucky because I had a really good anesthesiologist, who was a
fairly new daddy himself, and he stayed with me and described what was going
on when Gerald wasn't there.  I don't know how I would have made it through
without him, and I always wished I could let the hospital know somehow, but
I don't remember anything except that his name was Matt, and he was an angel
from God.

By the time we got into a hospital room on the maternity ward, I was just
plain too exhausted to try and nurse.  I suspect that part of the reason I
never got a good milk supply was that nursing was delayed nearly eighteen
hours.

Still, the birht of my daughter is something I'll never forget.  It didn't
go the way I would have wished it to, but the most important thing is, I had
a healthy baby who has grown into a healthy, active toddler.  Remember that
the birth is only the beginning of the story.  It may come off perfectly, or
it may take turns you wouldn't have asked for, but no matter what, you still
get to write the whole rest of the wonderful, beautiful adventure with your
child.