[blparent] Learning about the signs that your baby is coming

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Sat Apr 3 19:25:09 UTC 2010

this is very true. having a birth plan written up when you go to the
hospital is a very good thing. obviously, things happen, and you sometimes
have to deviate from your ideal scenario, but it's good to let your
practitioners know what you want. e.g., we included things like one of us
had to be with our daughter at all times if any sort of medical procedure
was to be done, and that epidurals were not an option for me due to a spinal
injury. we also included that Jason wanted to cut the cord, and that we did
not want extraction devices to be used during delivery.

I ended up needing Pitocen (which was definitely not a part of my plan), but
otherwise, I really did have the perfect birth. I agree with Carla about
non-medicated births. in many ways, they are really amazing and extremely
empowering. I really do feel, after living through a 41.5 hour,
medication-free (aside from a tiny bit of Nubane which took the edge off the
pain, but by no means eliminated it) that my body is capable of enduring
almost anything. I joked with my midwives the day after my daughter was born
that I was ready to run a marathon now. it was amazing to be able to walk
around within 90 minutes of giving birth. I ate, had a shower, and rocked my
baby in a rocking chair all before she was 2 hours old. I was able to
immediately begin nursing her, and she was with me at all times from the
moment she emerged, except for the times when her daddy held her. our
hospital staff didn't even clean or weigh her until she was about 2 hours
old. the only "medical" things they did to her within the first 24 hours
were to take her vitals and suction out her mouth and nose (and this is
while we were holding or touching her).

Dena