[blparent] latching on?

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 19:44:22 UTC 2010

Hi all. For those of you who breastfeed or did so before, do you have any
tips on getting your baby to latch on consistently? Of course, I know this
wil take practice. I use the nipple shield to tickle his mouth and get him
to open up. Sometimes, he opens up wide right away and I can get him to
latch on.  But other times, he'll turn away and keep his mouth closed as if
to say, don't put this thing in my mouth. Any tips would be great. I notice
that it's harder for him to nurse at night and I'm guessing it's because
he's so tired.  With him being a premie, I have to use the nipple shiled
since it will allow him to get my milk easier.  Sometimes, the nipple shield
falls off and I'll have to put it back on which can be a pain.  He'll take
his bottles no problem.

Leslie