[blparent] What's up with that?

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Wed Feb 17 05:04:27 UTC 2010

Hi.  I'm not sure if this has to do with blind parenting, but I was really surprised today.  I went out to get plates and cups and things for Sarah's second birthday party, which will be in a week and a half.  I went to a party goods store with a sighted friend.  What surprised me was that there were tons of great party choices for boys--lots of colors, lots of characters like Elmo, Sponge Bob, Pooh Bear, Mickey Mouse.  I chose Thomas the Train because Sarah has gotten to like him lately, and because the plates and cups and napkins are colorful, so if I get paper tablecloths and the like, they'll easily match with what we bought.  But when we cruised down the girls' aisle, it was all princesses.  Cinderella, Ariel, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White--the whole crew of helpless damsels--and it was all pink.  What's up with that?  Only one color?  And all princesses?  I was disappointed and kind of concerned about the message that must be sending to a whole nation full of impressionable little girls.

Jo Elizabeth

Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunters.--African Proverb