[blparent] Urgo VS Beco Butterfly II?

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Sun Feb 21 14:02:57 UTC 2010

I have used both and owned both. My preference is for the Ergo, but I think
(for me) it has to do with both my amount of vision (none) and my baby (very
wiggly). Both are wonderfully supportive, and can be worn comfortably for
longer periods of time without killing your back. Both have virtually
identical functionality (meaning they can be worn in front, back, and hip
carries). Both have a newborn insert (though the Beco's comes with it, and
the Ergo's is an extra purchase). Both have buckles and padded straps at
both waste and shoulders. Both have sleeping hoods. The primary difference
is that the Beco has a Y-shaped insert that rests between you and the baby
when you've got her on, and the Ergo does not. I can explain this in more
detail, but it would help if you have ever seen a Mei-Tai carrier, because
these carriers are derivatives of that. Brands of Mei-Tais include Babyhawk
and Cat Bird. If you like research, you'll want to visit
www.thebabywearer.com
It contains extensive information about baby-wearing, as well as reviews and
descriptions of every baby-wearing product under the sun.
What you will likely find, is that different carriers work better in
different situations. E.g., the carrier I used when my daughter was a tiny
infant are different than the ones I use now. Also, because carriers are
expensive I would not advise buying one until you have an actual baby to
test them out with. Every baby and mommy has a different preference for what
they consider comfortable. Some babies love being worn, and some hate it.
Some climates are more suited to different carrier fabrics than others.
E.g., I have a Kangaroo Korner pouch sling that I used in the first 3 or so
months. It is fleece. This was fine, as I had a fall baby in Minnesota, but
if you had a summer baby in Arizona, well...you'd likely want a fabric with
SPF built in to it.

The reason I chose the Ergo is that, for me, the insert didn't work. I know
others who love it, but my baby would squerm her way out of it, and I'd have
to readjust her after I had put her on my back. This turned out to be very
difficult, so I just preferred not dealing with it at all. The Beco
patterns, however, are way cooler. I sold my Beco to a sighted friend who is
crazy about it, and I think if your baby was more cooperative while being
lifted on than mine is, you'd love it, too. I know Leanne has a Beco she
loves, so if you ever meet her, I'm sure she'd show it to you :).

I moderate another very small list of blind moms, and many of us are avid
baby-wearers who own several carriers each. If you'd like to join it (or
anyone else for that matter) you can email me at
autumnrose21 at gmail.com
and I can add you.

Dena