[blparent] Making your own baby food?

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Sun Feb 21 18:07:32 UTC 2010

it is not true that you shouldn't mix foods until 8/9 months. the rule is to
introduce foods you want to mix individually, and then, if there is no
reaction, you can mix them. So, you'd introduce butternut squash (nothing
else). you would feed it for 3 or 4 days to see if there were signs of a
reaction. then, you'd introduce apple (only apple by itself). you could feed
butternut squash at another meal, since that is already a part of your
child's menu, but you cannot mix the two together. after a few days of
eating only apple with no reaction and squash with no reaction, it is now
safe to mix the two together.

I mixed butternut squash and apples together when Elise was 6 months old.
she loved it, and suffered no ill effects.

it is also not true that you should avoid water. no, you don't want the food
to be more water than food, but you need something to thin it out enough to
puree it if you're using a denser food. E.g., apples are very low in water
as compared to something like a pineapple.

also, when making food, you want to make larger batches at once to make it
more convenient. you'll need to cook certain harder fruits and veggies
before serving. E.g., apples, carrots, broccoli, etc. other softer fruits
and veggies (avocado, mango, banana, etc.) can be served raw.

do not introduce more allergenic foods before aged one at the least. E.g.,
strawberries, citrus, nuts, tomatoes, etc. if you have a family history of
allergies, that time can be extended to as much as aged three.

Dena

Dena