[blparent] Tips on Baby/child proofing your home

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin at gpcom.net
Wed Feb 24 01:10:15 UTC 2010

I would advise not letting the little one watch you put the outlet covers
in.  My mother in law had the bright idea we needed them, and she proceeded
to buy them and install them.  Sadie, at the time was about 18 months, and
she did not touch the outlets once until she saw grandma installing these
neat things.  It took a while to break her from playing with them.

They make safety outlets now to, and I think in the U.S. they are required
in all new homes.  There is a little piece inside each slot, and both pieces
have to be pushed against at once for them to open and allow the plug to
slide in.  So if the little one tries to put a key in one slot, it won't go
in and make contact.  Any big box store will have them, if someone would
rather go this route.

Michael Baldwin
Got print, need Braille?
http://www.ReadWithDots.com