[blparent] Parenting Question about potty training; not exactly blindness related! Sorry!

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Fri Feb 26 11:06:05 UTC 2010

Hi Melissa.
I haven't potty trained yet, but have lots of friends who have struggled
with this exact thing. Honestly, the thing that seems to have worked for
many of them is good ole fashion bribery or some form of external
motivation:).

One of my friends had a daughter who wouldn't poop on the potty. She
mentioned one day how excited she was about going to preschool. My friend
told her that kids who can't pee and poop on the potty aren't allowed to go
to school (which, here in MN, is true). She began pooping on the potty the
next day, and proudly announced "now I go to school!"

Another friend had a son who absolutely refused to poop on the potty. One
day he mentioned how much he wanted some sort of big ticket oy (I think it
might have been a Big Wheel). My friend told him that Big Wheels were for
big boys, and that big boys don't use diapers to poop in. The next day he
started pooping in the potty, and demanding his Big Wheel as a rewward :).

I think the key is to find something that motivates Austin, whether that's
an outing, an activity, a game, a star chart...whatever.

I also know parents who have a reward bag. They get a bunch of little toys
at the Dollar Store and whenever the child goes a full day or whatever
length of time you choose without having an accident, they get to pick a
reward from the bag.

Dena