[blparent] Choosing Your Battles with Your Children

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC Inc) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Wed Jan 13 12:47:44 UTC 2010

Two words for you, family therapy. You all need a good therapist who can
both explain to you where he's been in life re his experiences with his
mom, and also to him that he really is safe. And you'll need to do day
to day work on this too, explaining probably won't cut it based on
things you've written about his mom.
You all may also want to look seriously at doing something as a family
outside the house, volunteering with the Humane Society or something
with animals comes to mind because there is a need out there, and he'll
be able to care for and feel a sense of pride in taking care of another
living being without full-time 24/7 ownership responsibilities.
Sounds like he doesn't value "stuff" in the tranditional sense and
taking things away doesn't matter to him.
I'd be looking for a good therapist for the family, as well as finding
some things you all can do as a family or just you and him. Why not ask
him, if he could do anything, what would it be? Then really listen to
what he says.
Sounds to me like you're dealing with some ugly side effects, though it
also sounds like he's just being a preteen kid too, only without the
sense of security that is the ideal/norm??
Finally, while you are frustrated, have you asked him how he feels about
the rules, not so much with an intent of changing them but t to get his
insights? Ask him at a time that isn't in the middle of a fight and
again, just listen. Do that for all kinds of stuff and you'l be amazed
at what you can learn.