[blparent] Choosing Your Battles with Your Children

Rhonda Scott earthmagic7 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 15 14:25:07 UTC 2010

I'm not making any excuses here, but here is our situation and I know we
need to make some changes for Deven's benefit.

We started a small engine repair and sales business a couple of years ago
and it has really taken off in the past few months. Right now we run the
business out of our home, but will soon move into a building. Steve's
favorite place is his garage, even on the weekends. He is not the type who
can ever sit around for long. I'm the person who handles the office piece of
things, and I have an easy time of resting and relaxing when I can.

So we're finding that business is picking up, and people find it convenient
when they can show up after work, as well as earlier in the day. But we do
have a starting point for making some changes. Sunday is becoming our family
time. I'm encouraging games that involve the 3 of us, or one of us with
Deven. It isn't taking off just yet, because Deven only wants to do what
Deven wants to do, and I feel we should learn new games and not devote all
of our time to the WII or just one particular game. During the week, Steve
is having to work on closing the shop when we are closed. We have not yet
worked out what he can come inside and do to keep him in the house for the
rest of the night. At first, it was a card game with Deven, or the WII.
Deven's attention span is very short, about 15 minutes if we're lucky. So
then Deven would get bored with a couple of different things in one evening
and we would lose his focus, and away we all go our separate ways. These
things take time, but I totally agree with what you're saying about spending
some time, even if it's only a little. The focus issue is a real challenge.
One of Deven's complaints in therapy is that he wants his parents to do more
with him, but he himself needs to pull his weight in order to change that.

So we have a plan, initially, and now it's a matter of implementing the
ideas and figuring out how.

Rhonda