[blparent] Choosing Your Battles with Your Children

Rhonda Scott earthmagic7 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 20 20:26:54 UTC 2010

Steve is going to find Deven an engine he can take apart and hopefully want
to learn to put back together again. Right now Deven is given the option of
joining us in the shop, and sometimes we turn off the TV and tell him he
needs to play outdoors for a little while. He opts to not hang out, but
we're thinking maybe if dad offered one on one time, and tries to teach him
something about tearing something apart in a positive manner and
re-assembling it, he may take a bit of interest. It is the attention span
that is against us here usually. We are not huge believers in medication,
but in Deven's case, we have seen proof firsthand that if he doesn't have a
med to help with impulse control issues and hyperactivity, he tends to get
into a lot of trouble.

My office tasks I think I need to keep for just me. He wants to use my
computer in the worst way for playing online games, and though I know I
could create his own log-on account so he can't access my files and desktop,
I hesitate to do that because he is already so glued to TV and the WII.
Thoughts about this would be appreciated too. I don't want to take away what
is good for him, I just feel that with TV watching and video games, allowing
him computer access to play games is only encouraging him to stay away from
thinking his own thoughts, the real world, etc. We already have a challenge
with helping him see the difference between what he sees in movies and what
is real.

Rhonda