[blparent] potty training

Joy Wolf joy at kevinlwolf.net
Thu Jul 29 03:16:43 UTC 2010

We used these wonderful one piece training pants.  They're like the older
style training pants in the sense that they're cloth on the inside and have
a vinyl type cover, but they're all one piece.  They were enough different
from the pull-ups that my daughter noticed, and they would feel wet inside
more than diapers or pull-ups, but they kept at least much of the mess
inside.  For my daughter, who took a bit longer to really get it, they were
wonderful.  I wasn't too worried about the carpet at home because it cleaned
up fairly easily.  However, in my opinion there is nothing worse than taking
a little one out somewhere and having them end up completely soaked, and oh,
by the way, that was the one and only time you forgot to pack enough extra
clothes, lol.  Can you tell I've experienced that one? Anyway, sadly I can't
for the life of me remember what those training pants were called, but for
us they were helpful.  I've known parents who swear by pull-ups, and others
who absolutely hate them.  I refused to use them myself becase as you
mentioned they just didn't seem much different than diapers, but I think
this is an individual choice.  Also, don't expect potty training to go the
way you planned, no matter what your hopes are, lol.  My daughter took many
months to train.  My son absolutely refused to sit on the potty, and would
get upset if I tried to push the issue.  I finally gave up and put him back
in diapers.  One day we were shopping and he insisted on a new potty seat,
even though we had one for him at home.  I grumbled about how if I was going
to spend 20 dollars on this thing he'd better use it, lol, but I bought it.
He was just 3 at that time.  Well, we came home, he used it, and never went
back.  In fact, from that moment on he was both day and night trained and
probably only had two or three accidents total.  So, neither potty training
experience went as I thought it would for us.  I'll stop rambling now, but
wish you the best of luck.  Just try hard not to get frustrated, be
consistent, and above all, pay attention to his signals.  He will let you
know when he's really ready to make it happen.  Take care.

Joy and family