[blparent] I must of lost my mind

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Mon Mar 15 12:12:48 UTC 2010

Dear Veronica,

I woke up in the night worrying about the fact that no one had commented
after your post last week asking for advice about running for president. I
was very happy to read this morning that you have accepted the challenge of
becoming president. My personal experience--and I have been a chapter
president--has been that rising to new challenges is almost always a
constructive step. Very occasionally one discovers that it has been more
than one bargained for, but even that is useful information about oneself.
But mostly I have learned that, if I thought the new responsibility was
important and useful, I could find the time to do it. You have probably
heard the old adage to the effect that, if you want something done, ask a
busy person. They are the folks who know how to organize their time and will
accomplish it. I think that is what your chapter has done.

Speaking personally, I would say that being a chapter president does not
take all that much time. A lot of what it does take is planning, and you can
do that folding clothes, changing diapers, or fixing dinner. At least women
can multitask in that way. My advice to young mothers is always to be sure
to do some things that keep you in touch with adults so that you don't feel
that your brain is turning to mush. Guiding a chapter will certainly do
that. You will clearly bring organization and conscientiousness to the job.
You must also bring commitment to what the NFB is trying to accomplish, or
you would not have agreed to stand for election. I would say that your
chapter is very lucky to have you as its new president, and I suspect that
you will look back and conclude that taking this step was very good for you
as well.

Congratulations and good luck,
Barbara Pierce