[blparent] Child leashes and other thoughts

Karla Hudson HudsonKC at msu.edu
Tue Mar 16 21:32:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have watched the posts about child leashes. I used one with my daughter if
she wanted to push her doll stroller around the neighborhood which required
two hands on her stroller. Other than that I found the leashes would pull
her over as she was so light. I really believe bells are the answer. Both my
kids have warn them on their shoes. I like them as they are a constant
sound. Also, as a parent you have to just always be following your kids more
than the sighted parents. I have played on more playgrounds sliding down
slides and climbing on head banging equipment than most parents. The
important thing is to not fall in to the trap that others are watching your
child. If my kids do not mind me at the playground we go home. I have also
brought a whistle to the playground and told the children that they must
listen for my whistle and that means come to me.

As they get older it gets easier to make them check in with you and follow
directions.

Karla