[blparent] more about latching on

Tammy, Paul and Colyn tcl189 at rogers.com
Fri Mar 19 00:33:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

Both my kids put their hands in the way while they fed until they figured
out that they weren't going to get anything that way.  What I did is wrap
them in a receiving blanket with their hands as close to down at their sides
as I could.  then I put my right arm up under them so that my elbow
supported their body and my right hand went up under their head.  I found
that I could feel what there mouth was doing with my hand there, and I'd
know whether their mouthes were open or not.   Then I'd position their heads
at my nipple so that their nose was level with my nipple and support my
breast with my left hand.  One of the things the lactation consultant said
to me is that if you bring the baby's bottom in as close to you as you can
the baby will latch on better because his nose won't be pressed in to the
top of your breast.

hth

Tammy