[blparent] more about latching on

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Tue Mar 23 12:51:50 UTC 2010

I used to use a receiving blanket to swaddle the baby closely enough to pin
his hands for the first few minutes. If you use the hand opposite to the
side he is nursing on to compress your nipple enough to shape it a little
for him, you may be able to feel with the backs of your fingers where his
mouth is and when it opens. Propping the arm holding Michael on a chair arm
may also get him up a bit higher so that mouth and nipple are in alignment.

Good luck,
Barbara