[blparent] Keeping track of child in busy environment

Karla Hudson HudsonKC at msu.edu
Mon May 10 18:30:07 UTC 2010

Hi Shannon,

Let us all get back on track and answer your question with some helpful
ideas. I have always found bells to be the best answer for keeping track of
my kids. The combination of two bells on either foot attached with wire ties
worked well. Yes, there are times when you may need to have others keep an
eye on your child. However, if you have bells on their shoes there is never
a question about where they are in a room as you will always hear them
moving about. I know some people like those pip squeaks shoes for their
children. I have even noticed sighted parents using those shoes. If you are
not comfortable with the situation that occurred the other day you may have
to sacrifice your own activities until your child is a bit older. As
mentioned by another on the list you may have to leave your son home. I was
a reader for our church for a time and would attend some services without my
children when they were tiny in order to fulfill my obligation.

Hope this helps.