[blparent] need urgent help

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 24 19:34:15 UTC 2010

I know two couples in Michigan in the NFB where both parents are blind. They
are in their fifties, and both couples raised children independently. I know
there are more. I know it is not lawful to have your children taken away
just on the grounds of blindness. My husband and I want children very badly,
but have been unable to conceive. Due to our low income status, we have also
been unable to adopt. That would be my worst nightmare if I finally was able
to conceive or adopt a baby, and then was told just because my husband and I
are both blind that we could not keep our baby.
Terri Wilcox
Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan