[blparent] Anxious

Nikki Fugett-Dobens nfugett at cinci.rr.com
Fri May 28 16:46:06 UTC 2010

Stacey,
Hi.  My husband and I are both completely blind, and we have a 22 month old
daughter.  We didn't run in to problems like these at the hospital, or
throughout my prenatal care appointments.  One time, a nurse asked me if I
would have help when I first got home right before I had Mackenzie, and I
told her that I would have someone who was visually impaired to kind of show
me the ropes.  I hadn't had much experience with babies, so I was nervous.
I explained that the reason someone who was blind was helping me was because
I wouldn't do everything like someone who was sited would.  They seemed to
understand this, and every nurse seemed to think we were somehow amazing,
and we felt very comfortable during our stay.
I have to admit, people sometimes seemed surprised, when I tell them we
raise our daughter and we're without vision, but she's always been helpful
and always a little advanced for her age.
I was anxious about this as well, but I had faith that people would be fair,
and not jump to conclusions.  When I'm out with my daughter, people might
ask annoying questions, or want to help, but I try to just remain calm and
polite, which is somewhat hard.
I understand why this situation would make you nervous, but not everywhere
is like that.
Hope this helps!
Nikki