[blparent] Anxious

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Fri May 28 20:26:58 UTC 2010

Hi:

Please try to put your mind at ease. This absolutely does not happen to
every blind mother who goes into the hospital to give birth. I had similar
fears when I was pregnant with my daughter, and I'm not sure I'll ever
totally relax when it comes to feeling like I'm being watched by medical
professionals. But I had the most wonderful, compassionate, helpful hospital
staff a person could ask for when I gave birth to my daughter. They were
accommodating, encouraging, and simply fantastic.

When the nurse on duty was leaving at the end of her shift, she would always
introduced me to the one who would be taking over for her so I would know
that she was an employee of the hospital who was allowed to handle my baby.
In fact, in terms of security, I think they were even more protective of me
and my baby than they might otherwise have been. The morning after my
daughter was born, my husband returned to the hospital minus his wrist band.
My daughter happened to be at the nurse's station when he got there (we had
been having some problems with her breathing (mucus in her lungs), and I
wanted them to keep an eye on her for me to make sure nothing went wrong
again (she had turned blue during the night)). Even though they probably
knew exactly who he was, they insisted that they needed to call me to come
collect her before they would release her. They wouldn't even let him touch
her until I arrived.

They described everything that happened during my labor and delivery, and
told me everything they were doing when they interacted with her. They were
totally open to teaching me how to do some of the things I was less
comfortable with. The midwives at my prenatal practice even rearranged their
whole week's schedule so that the midwife I was most familiar with could be
with me during my birth.

At first I really believed they were treating me this way because my husband
is sighted, but even when I sent him home every night so he wouldn't have to
sleep in the crappy hospital cot, they were amazing. There was never the
"Holy shit. The sighted parent has left the building." vibe I was expecting
to have to deal with. There was never the subtle, "Perhaps we should take
the baby to the nursery for awhile." suggestions.

What I would suggest is that, when you are at a point where you want to get
pregnant, you begin interviewing doctors and hospitals. Don't settle. Find
someone you are totally at ease with, and someone who is completely
comfortable with your blindness. Be as canded with them as you need to be to
make sure they believe in your abilities.

Get as much practice with other people's babies as you can before hand. This
is something I wish I had done, as I think it would have increased my level
of confidence. If you have good friends or relatives with children, ask them
to show you how to do things like change a diaper, bathe a baby, do a
feeding (with a bottle or spoon, depending on the child's age).

Do what you're already doing: Get in touch with other blind parents. Join a
MOMS Club or similar organization, so you will have local support when your
baby comes home. This made a huge difference to my pediatrician: The fact
that I had a network.

Read books about caring for babies, and the process of giving birth. Talk
with other parents who will be open and honest with you about what
parenthood is really like. Obviously, every situation is different, but it
will help you feel more relaxed if you feel like you're not going into
motherhood totally clueless.

Ask questions in an intelligent and calm way. I definitely did not know
everything about caring for a newborn when I had my daughter. I didn't
pretend to know everything, either. I told one of my nurses that, as a blind
teenager, I never really got the chance to babysit, so my experience with
babies was limited. I asked her to show me how to change my daughter, and
explained that I wanted to know how to care for her the best way I could.
Once she had given me the lesson, I asked her to watch me do it the next
time. Maybe, because I actively involved them, and made it clear I wanted to
learn, and I wanted them to tell me if I was doing something wrong, they
felt more confident that I really was trying to be the best mother I could
for my daughter.

Take an infant first-aid and CPR class. The Red Cross will even send an
instructor to your home if you can get a group of interested people
together. I took the certification when my daughter was 8 months old, and it
really helped me. I hope to never have to deal with choking or the other
things I learned about, but I feel better knowing I would know what to do if
something serious happened. Most hospitals offer other parenting classes as
well.

I know all of this seems overwhelming. It isn't fair that we should have to
feel like we need to jump through more hoops than sighted people to prove
our competance. But the reality is: We do. Surround yourself with supportive
and helpful people, arm yourself with as much information as you can,
prepare yourself for the worst, but expect the best.

If you'd like to email me offlist, feel free. I'm not sure where you're
located. I'm in MN.

Dena