[blparent] Anxious

Pipi blahblahblah0822 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 18:28:57 UTC 2010

Stacy,
I can tell you that it does not happen to every blind family. When my
daughter was born, the hospital staff were wonderful. The birth mother is
blind and so am I.
Since I didn't go through the pregnancy or delivery parts of being a parent,
I can't give you experience on that part. I can give my suggestions though.
I would say to be proactive, yes. Research doctors, hospitals, mid wives,
everything. I wouldn't say to choose one birthing plan over another based on
your blindness. I would say to get all of the information you can about your
choices and then make the decisions based on what kind of birth you want,
how you feel the hospitals and such feel about your blindness, whether you
want a water birth, all of it. I suggest having a birth plan in writing.
Tour the hospitals early.  Be as prepared as you can be, but also be
prepared to have to make changes because no pregnancy, labor, or birth are
exactly the same.
I suggest taking infant first aid and cpr. I suggest that if there are any
things about caring for a baby that you feel you don't know how to do,
either take a parenting class or do what you need to do to find out the
anser. no one knows everything, but I think being prepared is always a good
thing.
Try not to let things like what has happened to this family discourage you.
Like I said, it doesn't happen to everyone. And hopefully with things like
the information Deb is putting together, the discrimination will become less
and less of an issue for disabled parents.
Pipi