[blparent] Anxious

Robert Shelton rshelton1 at gmail.com
Sat May 29 02:21:10 UTC 2010

Nikki's is an excellent post, and far more representative of the experience
you are likely to have than what you've seen on the list over the last
several days.  Yes, there have been, and in some cases still are issues, but
the vast majority of blind parents raise children with the same joys and
problems of parenthood as the light-dependent world.  Be prepared, but don't
assume that every question or comment is a threat or challenge.  Above all,
remember that the hard parts of parenting have nothing to do with blindness.
You and Greg build your relationship, and when you are ready for parenthood,
trust that it will be OK.

"A strong nation, like a strong person, can afford to be gentle, firm,
thoughtful, and restrained. It can afford to extend a helping hand to
others. It is a weak nation, like a weak person, that must behave with
bluster and boasting and rashness and other signs of insecurity."
--Jimmy Carter