[blparent] Anxious

Grace Pires silvara at cox.net
Fri May 28 22:07:43 UTC 2010

Hi Stacey:

My husband and I are both blind and we did not experience difficulties at
the hospital. They asked questions and I answered as best as I could.  I had
this list for support and questions which helped a great deal.  My son was
in the nicu due to prematurity and the doctor told us that he'd never had a
blind couple before.  His questions were in part so that he have a better
understanding how we'd take care of the baby. The social worker did ask me
how I'd know when it was time to feed the baby.  It's silly question, but I
just answered it. I also took a parenting class through Hadley.

I was anxious about the hospital stay as well.  But in retrospect it was
not so bad.  I think it would have been good to interview pediatricians as
Dena stated as well as meet the hospital staff prior to the birth.  I was
considering it and then he was here.

I have to say the staff at the nicu were great.  Perhaps they may have
watched me doing things, but they didn't hover.  They only assisted when I
asked.
My advice is to prepare as much as you can and answer questions with
confidence.  Sometimes the questions  may seem rather silly but I suppose
that people just don't know.
By the way, I also lurked on the list for some time before becoming
pregnant. I found it a good source of information.
Good luck.