[blparent] introduction, etc

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 13:49:19 UTC 2010

Hi All,
My name is Jan Wright.
I am a parent in Indiana.
I am a blind parent of sighted children.
Actually, my children are all grown, now, but I still do lots of parenting.
(smile)
I have a question:
1. We all know about the case that happened in Missouri in May of this year.
At our state convention, which will be in a couple of weeks,
I am getting together many parents as a network/task force.
I have written an information  letter to service providers and agencies which:
a. alerts them to the possibility of having a blind client
B. gives them statistics (where I could find them) concerning blind
people as parents
C.  reassures them that blind people can be good parents
and D. offers our services (either in a workshop/in service format or
individually to the service provider or to the parent) to help the
parents with any questions about parenting blind.

Then, someone brought it to my attention that I might be re-inventing the wheel.
So, am I?
Maybe someone was way ahead of me in crafting such a document.
Can anyone give me more information????
Thanks.
Jan Wright
IPOBC president