[blparent] Wiping Noses

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 19:14:06 UTC 2010

Hi Miranda,
This is a good question.  Most babies I care for do not like having their
nose wiped, and they will move their head like you said.  What I do is this.
Whether they are on my hip while I am standing, or on my lap while I am
sitting, I basically do the same thing.  Let's say their body is on my left
side.  I will use my arm/elbow to support their back, and I will reach up
with my left hand to gently press their head against my left shoulder.
Then, using my right hand holding the kleenex, I will first bring my right
hand to the cheek where my left hand is holding their head, then move across
from there to their nose, as quickly as I can.  You could also work from
their chin up, if you are more comfortable with that way.  You need to
gently pinch the nostrils in order to get the whole nose clean, so the chin
method may help you avoid accidentally getting their eyes if they jerk their
head, which they are still likely to do.  You can't hold their head too
firmly, so there can still be some motion there.  You also want to make sure
you wipe the skin just below the nose, even down to the upper lip so they're
not eating it - yuck.  It's always easier to learn these things when you're
not feeling self conscious with a sighted person watching your every move.
:)
If I didn't explain any part of this well, please feel free to ask me to
clarify.
Leanne