[blparent] Censoring reading?

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 20:43:55 UTC 2011

Hello,

Wanted to chime in on this topic.  I don't believe in censorship, but I
do believe there is age-appropriate material as well as
age-inappropriate material.

Movies based on books are often changed quite a bit for film for various
reasons.  People watch a film based on a book and decide to read the
book only to discover material that wasn't included in the film by any
means.

Growing up, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was one of my family's favorite
films.  I've seen it a hundred times.  Then I read the book later,
probably early 20's, only to discover the book contains adult subject
matter including sex.  The book was never meant for children, and the
film is based off of one chapter.

I don't believe any Stephan King book is appropriate for anyone younger
than a teen and even then I have my doubts.

This is just a few things in the books that I'm aware of:

In the Stand, a man forcibly sodomizes another man with a gun.
In It, the group of kids have sex with one young girl- a gang rape of
sorts, plus the demon is pretty disturbing stuff.
In The Green Mile, a man rapes and murders two young sisters.
In The Dead Zone, the main character has sex with a married ex in a barn
while her baby sleeps on the porch.
In the Shaw shank Redemption, a group of prisoners rape Andy, the main
character.

The list goes on.  Plus, many King novels contain dark and disturbing
material.  And there's a reason King books are not sold in the youth
section.

If kids choose to go against what parents say, well, it's going to
happen- this is just a part of life, but it doesn't mean parents cave
and give in.  We still set certain standards.

Trust me, I was a rebellious kid and very curious.  Perhaps my parents
were too strict, and I've tried to hit a balance with my own parenting,
but based on my own experience and retrospective distance from
situations, I understand why my parents didn't want me doing some
things.

Personally, I think King is not appropriate material for anyone under 15
or 16, and regardless of how much a child wants to read King, a parent
should not be the one handing them the book.

Reading and literacy are extremely important, and we encourage this at
home, but to say, "As long as they're reading," seems like a flimsy
reason to allow a child to read material written for adults.  Take kids
to a local library, spend time in the youth section, attend readings for
children, research age-appropriate books and give them as gifts or check
it out at a library and present to your child.  As late as my teens, I
did library activities with my parents and had an opportunity to explore
all the different types of literature.  Give kids a reason to explore
their literary options instead of being solely influenced by peers,
pop-culture and the media.

If your teenage daughter decides to get pregnant, do you go along with
it?  Of course not.  Will it still happen?  Maybe, but at least you
communicated your reasons for not wanting her to have a child so young.

Maybe this is a bad analogy, but I just think we steel innocence from
our kids way to early.  Beyond the sexual and dark content, King books
contain subject matter meant for adults- dealing with adult problems.
No matter how astute or bright a kid is, they just don't need to be
confronted with this type of subject matter yet.

You don't forbid it; you don't put your foot down and deny with no
reasoning, but you make it clear why you feel something is wrong or
inappropriate.  And present alternatives.  I believe this should be done
whether the issue is literature, films, sex- whatever the topic,
especially when they reach adolescence- the ten to teen age period.

Plus, if a child is more astute and has a higher comprehension level,
they're probably going to be more affected by such subject material.  My
vote is that King books, and films, are not at all appropriate for
children.

Bridgit P

Message: 7