[blparent] experiences of blind parents with more than one small child

Kevin Athey familyathey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 16:13:26 UTC 2011

Hi all,
My name is Kathy and I currently live in Louisiana with my husband and
three children. My husband and I are both blind and all the kids as
far as we know are perfectly sighted. Our children are 3 2  and 1. So,
I know a little something about the subject at hand. Oh boy does it
ever get hectic sometimes but I would never worry about the issue of
traveling when making the decision to have 1 child or 2 or even 3 or
4. We are making plans for number 4 and while we are often frustarated
at the situation when it comes time to go somewhere as a family we
don't let this stop us from making the decision that we feel is right
for us. I have lots of help from a loving church family and usually
traveling with the kids isn't a problem, but honestly I try to do
errands when my husband is home or I can get a sitter for a little
while. I have gone out a time or two to walk around with the kids with
the baby strapped to my chest in a pouch and my 3 year old on a leash
while holding the hand of my 2 year old. It was interesting but it is
something a person can get use to if the need or want to. We have a
busy household and it is often hard to keep track as to exactly what
everyone is doing at the same time. However we have been blessed in
the fact that our 3 year old is a girl and a little momma. She loves
to help with her brothers and is a tattle tell so if the baby has
something he shouldn't and I don't already know it she is the first to
tell me. I think that if you want to have more the 1 child go for it.
People are going to talk about it and they are going to act shocked
when they see you in public with so many children, but I have sighted
friends who get the same reactions. If anyone is interested in more
you can feel free to email me off list anytime and I'd be happy to
tell you what I can about raising multiple children.
My email is:
familyathey at gmail.com or kgarrett1984 at gmail.com