[blparent] experiences of blind parents with more than one smallchild

debbie grace debbiegrace at gci.net
Tue Aug 23 18:16:54 UTC 2011

Hello,
My name is Debbie Grace. I too am a blind Grandparent with 2 grandchildren
who have been with me for about three years. They are now 3 and 5 years.  My
daughter died in May of 09 and I have custody of them right now.  It has
been quite an adventure for us.  I can understand about the toys and the car
seats.  I too have to carry them around with me.  I also take a lot of cabs
and they can provide at least one car seat for me.  I also am single so I do
have a network of friends that help me and some family around.  I have been
accused of not being able to potty train because of my sight and not being
able to take care of my grandchildren.  I do not let this bother me because
as I have been able to adapt.  One of my granddaughters just started
kindergarten this year , so I am looking forward to some of the other
challenges that will come up.  I am very thankful for this site and the
suggestions of the other parents.  I am seeking permenant custody and will
have a trial this December.  Their Father is still in the picture.  It has
been very emotional and rewarding for me to be able to spend time with my
granddaughters.  I do hope that the courts will leave them with me as I am
loving them very much and they really a paart of my life.  It is great to be
able to tlak to you all and I will be looking forward to more info.
Thank You
Debbie Grace,Hannah and Ashley