[blparent] For Those with Guide Dogs or Pets

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Aug 27 21:32:51 UTC 2011

Hi.  Sadly, I read an article on my list for guide dog users this week about a blind man who was killed in West Virginia this last week while crossing a street at night with his dog.  It's not the first such incident I've heard about, and it got me thinking about safety while traveling, especially with kids.

I searched on the Web and found that lighted dog collars are available, and I'm going to buy one for my guide dog so that she, and therefore Sarah and I, are more visible in the dark.  We don't get out too much at night, but even just cruising around the complex, which doesn't have the best lighting everywhere, I was thinking better safe than sorry.  The collars are weather-proof, shock proof, and spark proof.  They only cost about ten dollars, which I figure is a small price to pay for visibility and safety.

Check out www.dogsafetysupplies.com.  I found the site very accessible.

Be safe,
Jo Elizabeth

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."--Franklin D. Roosevelt