[blparent] For Those with Guide Dogs or Pets

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 23:34:27 UTC 2011

I agree, you can't be too safe out there when traveling.  I have a light
collar as well that has a strobing blue light that pulses through it when
it's on.  I also purchased a bright orange safety vest from Pet Smart that
has reflector strips on it that is so nice and thin that it doesn't
interfere with the harness at all.  My dog also has a bright orange flat
collar that I'll put on him sometimes that lies low on his neck so it
doesn't interfere with his training collar that is easy to see in the dark.
Also, I have a small clip on light meant to attach to his training collar
that flashes, but even when I have it off my guide can accidently turn it on
just by laying on his side so the batteries can run low quickly.
Additionally, I where a small red light that I got from a bike shop that
hangs from my jacket up on my chest or where ever I want to attach it and
the light can be steady, strobe or pulse.  I have a black Lab guide so you
can't be too careful.  I haven't gotten these yet but they also sell
reflective arm bands that runners wear and special reflective shoe laces
that runners wear as well.  Even during the day I want to stand out for the
traffic to see me as much as possible because people just don't look so you
need to visually pop.  For this I have a bright yellow sun hat and put me
and Dawson in bright colors as much as possible.

Erin