[blparent] Party craft and Game Ideas

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Dec 6 16:58:03 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I cannot believe it, but our son, Austin, will be five on December 13!  This
year we are having a much more of a "kid" birthday for Austin.  In previous
years, there have been a few kids who have come, but a lot of our friends
also attended, and the kids that came just sort of played around in Austin's
room and in the living room.  This year, Austin really wanted to invite all
of his friends from his in home day care, plus a few other friends he's made
from here and there.  So, we will be having at least two toddlers and 8
other kids between 9 and 4, not including Austin and Oriana.  I'm not too
worried about the toddlers.  Their parents will be around, we have a baby
proof house, and plenty of kid friendly toys for them to play with.  I may
also get a ton of balls and fill up a wading pool for them; I think they
would get a kick out of it, and we may be able to let the bigger kids have a
turn with this activity as well.  I know the older kids can play a little as
well, but I certainly want some games planned so we can avoid a lot of
mischief, if possible!

                I have a game planned where a child will hold a bowl of
cotton balls on his or her lap.  He or she will have an empty bowl on his or
her head.  The child needs to get as many cotton balls as possible into the
bowl on the head with a spoon.  I remember playing this at parties when I
was young and I thought it was fun.  I am also planning to have goody bags
for the guests hidden somewhere in the house, and make up a scavenger hunt
so the kids will have to go around the house to various places in order to
collect clues and find the goody bags.  Again, a favorite from when I was
young.  I also have a fun game called Wiz Kidz that we could play in teams
for prizes.  I was thinking possibly of doing some type of craft project,
although I'm not too sure if I want to tackle anything that ambitious with
so many kids.  We are also having snacks, dinner, cake, presents, etc.  So
perhaps the party is full enough as it is.  I would love to get some other
game ideas from all of you however, just in case things don't take as long
as I think they will and we have time left over with bored kids.  I'd
welcome craft ideas as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Melissa