[blparent] home schooling

Shannan Zinck shannanzinck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 00:33:41 UTC 2011

While it is true that there is a lot of "religious" stuff out there there
is also a good bit of neutral curriculium. I am a Christian so will be
going with a bible based curriculum but, I can see the difficulty of
finding a curriculum that has no basis for faith based teaching and it is
true that the bulk of homeschoolers are "religious" in some way. From what
I can see it's almost impossible to find material when you are blind. I'm
legally blind and my husband is totally and our son is sighted so this
should prove interesting for us. LOL. Montesury is a type of learning style
that is based on the childs interests. for instance if your child loves
puppys then the lessons will have something to do with puppies to keep her
interest. I looked into it for my son because we thought it might be good
for him but, it's expensive here in Canada it's $10,000 a year. Not sure
about the US. but, can't see it being much different. IMO any group based
school seems to have major draw backs. If you homeschool the you have the
advantage of one on one learning and focused attention from the grown up
working with them. Also the hours are much shorter, average of 4 hours a
day 5 days a week for grades 3 and up and less for younger grades providing
you don't have a procrastinator for a kid. LOL. No homework so once they
are done they are done for the day. For some group learning is great but,
we have to admit for many it's very hard. Most of the people I know either
barley made it through public school, dropped out, or had to finish a
different way. I wish I could give you some leads but, because I'm using a
bible based program I didn't have far to search. Montesury is a fabulus
style of learning from what I have read and to be honest if I could afford
it I'd consider it. Myles thrives on group activity but, he'll have to get
that in other ways. We started playing around with preschool in the last 3
months or so and he loves it. He's going to be 3 in January, He gets good
job stickers that he puts on a wall for effort so he really enjoys that.
Preschool to Kindergarten is only 5 to 15 minutes of work a day and grade 1
is only an hour. average that is. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Shannan Zinck
Survival is letting GOD take over