[blparent] Question about parenting with blind children

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Thu Dec 29 22:49:21 UTC 2011

Dear Bridgit,

 Growing up as a blind child, I was blessed with parents who intuitively
grasped that it was essential for me to learn and experience through touch.
They made a point of showing me things at home and out in the community.
When I was three or four my mother found time to take me for a walk almost
every day, and she showed me things all along the way - mailboxes, fire
hydrants, hedges, fences, anything and everything that occurred to her.
That spirit reached our whole extended family. Four grandparents and a host
of aunts and uncles followed my parents' example and showed me things in
their homes whenever we visited.  I was taught to touch carefully,
especially when exploring an object that might be fragile or sharp, but I
was rarely told "Don't touch" within my family.  Of course I learned all too
soon that the rest of the world had a very different attitude, and I suppose
it's something of a lifelong mission to me to try to make inroads where I
can for the sake of all of us.

As the blind parent of a sighted child, I don't recall ever saying those
dreaded words, "Look with your eyes, don't touch!"  I decided when my
daughter was a toddler that if I didn't want her to touch something then it
should be put away safely until she was older and could be trusted to touch
it gently.  We decorated the tree with things that were durable, such as
plastic or wooden ornaments that she could touch and play with.  By the time
she was three or four she had learned that some things are fragile and can
be touched carefully but not played with.

Your question brings a story to mind.  Once, when Janna was about four, we
visited a family friend whose house was filled with china figurines.  Janna
longed to touch them. She kept asking to touch "Marion's fragile things,"
but Marion told her no.  She didn't let anyone touch them, not even her own
husband!  Janna was quite heartbroken and we tried to explain that some
people have different rules in their homes; every family gets to decide what
is okay and what is not.  A few weeks later Marion sent Janna a present, a
lovely Christmas tree ornament, a glass horse with wings.  We have it to
this day, and hang it on the tree every year.  Between Christmases it waits
in its own special box, labeled "Janna's Fragile Horse."

Debbie