[blparent] Question about parenting with blind children

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 30 21:27:52 UTC 2011

Jo Elizabeth,

That's really cute about Sarah chasing the cat away, smile! We use to
have a Shiatsu poodle  mix, Bambi, who nested under the tree every year.
When we finally placed presents under the tree, she would get huffy
because her "cave" was gone for a time.

I appreciate your response and completely agree children, regardless of
a disability or not, should be allowed to use all their senses to
experience and explore. Being a neat freak and germaphobe (grin!) I find
myself always discouraging touch, but it's not bad to experience some
things tactily.

That's neat and interesting that Sarah uses other senses that her peers
might not use as much. I'm sure having a blind parent as a role-model
allows our kids to witness behavior not always present in households
with sighted parents. As a writer, I was taught to use sensory
descriptions, tapping into other senses other than visual to describe
things. In reality, we don't often do this, and when a child is party to
people using and relying on other senses, it makes complete sense to
them to do the same.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter