[blparent] Choosing a daycare provider?

sharon howerton shrnhow at att.net
Sun Jan 2 19:11:52 UTC 2011

Bran,
These are all great ideas. I personally used home day care and was fortunate
enough to find people who lived in my neighborhood. Sometimes the provider
would come to pick up the boys at home and would bring them back as well.
For me it was so tremendous to take them to a place where I could walk and
not have an additional trip on the bus before going to work or coming home.
I found one of them by word of mouth and personal recommendation. Other
issues include what you can afford and the age of the child as some daycare
centers can take babies only at certain ages. At least here in Illinois and
when my sons were young, they are now 27 and 24 years of age, the home
provider had a quota of the number of children she could have who were
certain ages. That may vary by state. Providers may also want a guarantee of
a certain number of days or hours per week.
Sharon