[blparent] Kiddie Academy?

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Wed Jul 27 12:42:14 UTC 2011

There is one near my house.  It got a liscense violation for a staff member beating an infant.  In fairness, my kid's daycare also made the news due to a teacher doing something really horrible.  The thing to remember is that people blame the institution when something goes wrong, even if the institution did all they could and followed state process.

Go check yours out. See the kids interact and meet the staff.  Look at liscense violations. The school is required to show them to you. They will be in print, so you will need to check online if you want to read it for yourself. You can also talk to the person doing the inspection.  Know that all daycares and preschools will have liscense violations. They can be as simple as "a parent didn't return a sunscreen permission slip" or they can be very serious.
I'd also suggest you read Gavin Debecker's book Protecting The Gift, specifically the chapter on childcare. Very useful information.
Sarah will like preschool. She'll do things you won't do with her not because you don't care, but because that's how preschool works. She'll also make friends and establish her own relationships with other adults.  These are all good things.
Enjoy this and don't worry.